Sunday, June 28, 2009

Annual Training 2009

For the last two weeks I had my two weeks of Annual Training (AT) for Guards which was at Camp Ripley. My battalion spent almost the entire time out in the field (the woods... for those not accustomed to military lingo). I captured a few pictures with my cell phone camera. Amazingly I was able to keep the charge on my cell phone and get reception so I could call home in the evening and talk to the family. We have generators that run occasionally giving us power in our tents. I haven't been out to the field for an annual training for about 5 years or so. It never fails that when we are at Camp Ripley sleeping in tents and not getting showers it rains... and rains... and then rains some more. Then of course it is hot and humid... and there is an abundance of ticks. We came in to contonment (the base) about every 3 days for a shower. We did lots of good training. My role is of a nurse in the military... so mostly I help with the training of the medics. In the real scenario I would be in charge of Patient Holding. This is an area that I could keep soldiers for a max of 72 hours who are in need of medical attention. The platoon I am part of if Treatment Platoon. My platoon is made up of about 20 medics, 2 doctors, 1 physician assistant, 1 nurse (me), 1 dentist, 1 dental assistant, x-ray techs, pharmacy tech, a platoon leader, and a paperwork person. Our responsibilities are to treat the injured soldiers, trauma and non-trauma. We get soldiers from the Ambulance Platoon - who go out and get the injured soldiers. So during AT it is all about running scenarios to better prepare us for the real thing on a deployment. We do simulations of Mass Cals (mass casualties) and different possible injuries such as sucking chest wound, amputations, gunshot to the abdomen, head wound, etc. I am fortunate to be with a great group of soldiers and even though the living conditions are not quite like they are at home it I am always able to reflect back and say I had a good experience and was able to learn.

Our company TOCC


Our Treatment Tent - this is where my platoon works out of.

My living quarters for 2 weeks. The picture above is our tents and the picture below is my sleeping bag and cot. I also should add that the first night it rained I did get wet due to a poorly put together tent!



Our means of transportation while in the field.


We did some helicopter training on a Black Hawk. We put our litters (patient stretchers) on and off the rig and then we got the pleasure of having a ride!

This is me all buckled in the Black Hawk.


This is one of the training exercises we did... low crawling with a litter (stretcher).
I sure missed the kids while I was gone, but luckily I have a wonderful husband who took on the job of Single Dad. Thanks Sweetie! He did get a little help from my Mom and his Mom. Thanks Grandmas!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Thanks for sharing those pictures. Gives me a better idea of what you do there.

And thank you for dedicating youf time and energy to be an American Soldier. You and all soldiers deserve MANY thanks!!

Happy 4th of July!

baby growth
baby growth
baby growth