My hubby and I are married 10 years this year on Sept 5, 2013.
I really wanted to be able to do something special - like go on a little trip.
So I came up with a weekend to Chicago, which at first Marty was completely against - but after about 2 months of convincing him, he finally consented.
Now that I got the go from him I had to work on some childcare arrangements.
So with the wonderful help of my Mom, Mother-in-law, and my sisters the kids were arranged to be in good hands. I booked the flight from Friday morning to Monday morning. We had 2 full days and some half days for our trip... all by ourselves... no kids!!! Well, except I am about 29 weeks pregnant at the time of the trip. So almost like we are on a little honeymoon. We had a WONDERFUL time.
We got there Friday around 2pm. We managed to right the train from the airport to downtown Chicago. Then we had a bit of a walk to our hotel. Amazingly we did terrific navigating our way around.
Friday nights destination was Navy Pier.
We rode the giant Ferris Wheel. I was so much fun!!! I felt like a little kid. Marty just laughed at me.
The we walked around some and ended up eating at a Bubba Gump's restaurant.
It was delicious and a wonderful evening.
Below is Chicago from Navy Pier and above is of course the Ferris Wheel. It really is HUGE, and a little scary when you are on the top. The ride takes you around one time. It was a bit of a chilly night and the wind was blowing some - but just me and my sweetie in a ferris wheel cart... how sweet!
The next morning we found a fantastic place for breakfast. It was like the Chicago 'hotspot' for breakfast as there was an hour wait at 10am to get a seat. We decided to wait, and we were glad we did. It was fantastic food, so good we went back Sunday morning too!

The next destination was the Willis Tower and the glass deck. This is formally know as the Sear Tower.
We had about a 2 hour wait to get up to the observation deck... but again it was worth the wait.
Our adventures on the glass deck. You really are out there standing on air it seems.
And my prego belly at 29 weeks!
We never made it to a theater show, but the theaters are everywhere. If we every go back that is something we would do.
Saturday night was a dinner cruise just off the shore of Chicago on Lake Michigan.
Marty spiffed himself up and I tried to look good myself.
When we arrived on the cruise ship our table was decorated so fancy with rose pedals.
It was quite flattering.
We had a meal, there was some music, and then we spent most of the time on the upper deck just sitting on the couch watching the skyline and enjoying the fresh air. It was a splendid time.
Below is our cruise ship and above is the Ferris Wheel view from the ship.
Wouldn't you know Sunday the Vikings were in town. This was a random chance as the trip was not planned around this, but once Marty found out he thought it wouldn't be right if we didn't get tickets to the game. So to the Bears stadium we go to. Unfortunately it was a raining day, and we needed to wear ponchos on our walk to the stadium and throughout mos to the game, and to top it off the Vikes lost! But overall a good time. The kicker was Darrin and Mandy happened to be in Chicago also to meet up with some friends and go to the game. Again this was all random chances, and none of this was planned! So we hung out at a bar for a little bit with them pre-game. It was nice to see them!!
Sunday evening we dined at a nearby restaurant and had Chicago Style pizza and then we ended up renting a movie at the hotel. We had done a lot of walking and I was beat! It was a nice relaxing evening.
Above is our hotel. It was a great stay.
We had a great time. I would recommend a Chicago weekend get-a-way for everyone.
A nice weekend, with no kids, and we could just be "Marty and Terri" like back 10 years ago.
Amazing 10 years has gone by and to count the years we dated - it has been 13 years we have been together. A wonderful 10 years - some ups and downs - but mostly ups!!
And to the next 10-20-30-40-50 some years with my sweetheart I look forward to!























No comments:
Post a Comment