The beginning of May we took the whole family on an adventure to Washington DC to visit my brother.
We left on a Thursday and came back on a Monday. The kids have been on an airplane before, but I don't think either of them really remember, so from the get-go it was a adventure for them. Expecting the airport to be a terrible experience for us, we were sure to get there plenty ahead of time, like 3 hours before our flight. To Marty and I's both surprise everything went so smoothly. I think it took us like only 20 minutes from the time the Park-n-Go guy dropped us off at the airport doors to being all the way through security! Amazing! With the kids they kept putting us in family lines, which had no waiting... so having the kids with us turned to get us special advantages!
Since everything went so smooth with check-in and security we had plenty of time to eat lunch and then even play at the airport playground. The kids were so mad when we had to leave the playground to go wait at our gate!
Then came the airplane ride. Marty got to be the lucky one to sit between the two kids and manage them. I was across the isle. We were hoping they would take some good naps since our flight was at 3pm, but they didn't. Zach got a little antsy and crabby... but nothing to terrible.
We were able to stay at Darrin's apartment. The kids slept on the floor, Marty and I got Darrin's bed, and Darrin got the couch (for 4 nights).
I thought it worked out really well and we had fun staying there.
Gracie was amazed at all the tall buildings and called them all 'little towns'. Darrin's apartment is on the 20th floor, so the kids had fun riding the elevator and of course pushing the buttons.
Our first full day, Friday, we spent at the "mall" area, which is Downtown DC by the monuments. The kids got to experience the 'Choo-Choo Train" aka the underground DC Metro. They loved the escalators we needed to take to get down to the metro and thought it was great getting on board.
First stop in the Mall area was the carousel. I let Marty and Darrin get the thrill of riding with the kids.
Next stop was the Air and Space Museum. Lots of airplanes, spaceships, and rockets. We got to watch a Big Bird and Elmo show in their planetarium too. (Marty and Darrin I think fell asleep!)
Then on to check out some of the sites. We have the Washington Monument in the background of the first picture and the Nation's Capital in the second photo.
Stopping for a rest at some fountian. We threw some pennies in and made a few wishes.
The second day (Saturday) we headed to Baltimore to go to the National Aquarium. This was mostly indoors. It was great! They have this huge shark tank that I think is like 4 floors and the stairs go right in the middle of it. Zach was a little scared of the sharks, but Gracie loved it.
After we got through the aquarium we went and ate at a restaurant and then this picture below is outside the restaurant in the harbor.
Day number 4 (Sunday) was the Smithsonian DC Zoo. The weather was a little overcast and I think we had a few sprinkles, but I think it kept the crowd down, so not really a big deal. The animals did a good job of putting on a show for us. Below the Gorillas were quite active and playing like crazy. I think we sat and watched them for like a 1/ 2 hour.
The lions also put on a good show for us.
There were 2 Mommas and several younger ones and then a big Papa.
Gracie and Uncle Darrin having fun!
Gracie was in love with the Panda's and Zach too. Zach cried so hard when we left the Pandas.
The Panda was eating a good lunch of Bambo.
And then a couple snap shots of our host (Uncle D) and his girlfriend Mandy.
Gracie and Zach really took to Mandy and I think the day we were at the Zoo she held Mandy's hand the whole time and didn't want Mommy's or Daddy's.
Monday came way to fast and then we had to say Good-bye! We had such a wonderful and fun time. I am sooo glad we made the trip. I don't know if Zach will remember any of the trip when he is older, but hopefully Gracie will remember a little bit of it.
Thanks for the Good Time Darrin and Mandy.
Can't wait to hang out again.
I joked that the last I visited Darrin in DC I was about 20 some weeks pregnant with Zach and this time I was 20 some weeks pregnant again... If we would have a baby #4... I guess we will have to make a trip to DC at the 20 some week mark! Ha ha!



1 comment:
I love this post! Looks like a really fun time.
Post a Comment